Thursday 7 August 2014

Recharging the battery

Helen and I have just a day to recharge the batteries and I have to say I think my charger is rather flat.........or that I have had an overdose of sunshine! I hear it is still bitterly cold at home so I have tried to send some of that sun down under to you all - so as we say in Australia....I am knackered! But that didn't stop a visit to the hairdresser (!!), and a walk around the estate. Helen lives on a part of Membland Estate in Devon once owned by  Edward Baring, 1st Baron Revelstoke. The Membland Hall burnt down in the 1920's but many homes are still within the estate. Helen is in one of the newer homes and the plot it was built on was previously the estate's greenhouses. In the 9 months since I last visited so much has happened with major refurbishment and some amazing landscaping. Helen was more than happy to share her little sanctuary and I can see why she so loves the peace and tranquility......apart from an occasional car all I can hear is the cry of pheasants and a cow!


 Those who know Helen also know it is tradition for her to fly the flag on her own estate.......even an Australian one when an Aussie is visiting! But I am not so fussed on her introducing me to the locals and telling them I come from "awwwwstralya" and that I am from "add-elide".......no Helen we do not all speak with that awful Australian drawl....well I hope not - but "geez thanks mate" for flying the flag for me!
 The backyard has been transformed and will eventually be in the style of a traditional Arts and Crafts style garden......

 and I have the exclusive view of it from my own bedroom........
 Even Monty the dog is knackered from his little holiday while Helen is away...and it will all start again tomorrow dear Monty.......
The old stable block and view from Helen's front gate.........


 Some older buildings just down the lane including the coachman's cottage.......



 And this is the neighbours home which used to be the estate agent's (manager) house in the 1800's. We enjoyed a cup of tea on the terrace.....but I am not so good at sitting in the sun for too long unlike the Brits who relish it when they get it! 

 You can even see there is a foreign guest staying at Helen's from over the garden wall.....   
We do pay each other out and it is quite possibly a good thing that the cricket isn't on at the moment (!!) But we do love you to bits Helen and thanks for having me (even if it was only 2 nights) xx


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you are having a bit of a break but sorry to hear that you are knackered (the k is silent! as in knife).

    What a wonderful place to recharge those batteries before you have to deal with Jan, Jenni and Nanette!

    Love

    Neil C

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x