Monday 5 December 2016

Mary William's Talent with Thread

I had the very great honour of opening Mary William's solo exhibition "Thread Matters" last Friday evening. This follows on from Mary's last exhibition Thread Counts that I blogged about over 3 years ago. That time has gone so quickly and in that time Mary has developed her skills further with her amazing use of thread. The layers and colours are beautiful and part of my opening speech reflected that as you will read shortly. But to start with enjoy some of her work that is on display.....



Mary states that her exhibition is "influenced entirely by the interrelationship between our natural world and the man-made structures that have been placed within"........
 These beautiful boxes hand-made by Mary's husband Gerry are adorned with her stitch work (And the rainbow one is now mine!).........











 Journal covers and diary covers........








 I actually met Gerry in 1999 during my 'previous life' as an accreditation co-ordinator in the health care industry (an extension to nursing!), and he was a great support to me. Gerry's support to Mary is demonstrated with each piece of her textile art professionally mounted and framed to hang on the wall. One piece actually moved me to tears and I said in my opening speech; "I am in awe of Mary’s imagination and what she can do with thread….the layers, the colours and the ability to make a viewer be moved. Yesterday one piece (which I hope is now mine!) actually brought me to tears.  I believe this to be the ultimate compliment when a work of art causes an emotional response." And I truly believe it and this was the piece that we purchased.......
Mary called this work "A Winter's Morning" and as soon as I saw it it took me to a place on our recent visit to Iceland. Many others were obviously moved by this piece as well as I had two others standing in line waiting to purchase the same piece.....so I am glad I got in first! 
I also said in my opening that "I find Mary to have a great professional ethic….a quiet achiever who always maintains a calm and balanced attitude to all challenges in life. She has certainly found her niche using threads in a unique and original way turning them into works of art."
The drinks and nibbles were wonderful but Gerry had a little accident and of course it just had to be red wine and not white!

 Their sons did a sterling job keeping us well hydrated.......such a lovely family affair.......


 I wonder what Gerry was telling Mary here........
 So a quick swig of the wine and I plunged in.......a great privilege but I have to confess I had butterflies all afternoon!.......
 and how clever of us to be colour co-ordinated without even knowing with the colourful backdrop as well!.......


 I was overwhelmed to  receive this beautiful hexagon shaped box personally signed as a thankyou. Again Mary's stitch work glows and Gerry's woodworking skills come to the fore......the card even matches........

So thank you Mary (and Gerry), for asking me to be a special part of your exhibition and for allowing me to show it here on the blog. If you live locally do put it in your diary to visit and then like me you might be tempted to take a piece home to hang on your wall. The exhibition is on every day in the Hughes Gallery at the Fullarton Community Centre until December 18th ......which just happens to be a special day for me! This very official government letter came in the mail last week to remind me........

What a hoot.....I have also received some early gifts with some $$$ from my Monday sewing girls and a voucher from my nursing friends who I trained with 42 years ago! And this lovely card came from a special friend who lives interstate.......what a lovely card......
 I also received a very special gift from another girl that I trained with who now lives several hours away. Gary has a very large and well fitted shed where he creates all sorts of amazing things from wood.......and this was what he made for me..........
 I cannot begin to imagine how many hours it would have taken to intricately assemble this cutting board and all in the design of a quilt (tumbling blocks ), too...........

 Thankyou Debbie and Gary. I feel very blessed to have already received birthday gifts and such fine handmade wooden ones too. Of course I also received that extra special early gift from Larry way back in January when I went to Japan!  More soon x 

2 comments:

  1. What amazing and beautiful work Mary creates! And lovely lovely wood work pieces you received.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what amazing work by both of your friends, the textiles are wonderful but I do love that wood too - the cutting board it too pretty to use!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x